Monday, July 26, 2010

Summers, Age, and a farewell to a certain Mr. Marsten...

Just stopping by for quick howdy...

I cannot believe that we are only days away from the end of summer. Of course, my education-oriented friends will not be excited about this reminder, but the truth remains. In the words of my old NFG, "It's been a summer..."

Lynchburg, Virginia; Huntington, West Virginia; Winnsboro and Lake Murray, South Carolina (upcoming); combined with a North Carolina camping trip, deeper, and a week-long speaking deal doesn't leave much room for down time. I'm thankful...but I'm tired. I love it and would have it no other way, but all this going has brought two undeniable truths to light in my life:

1) I'm getting older.
2) I miss my family.

For the first time in my adult life, last week I was accused of being older than my actual age. Granted, it was only a one year difference (technically a 3-month difference, according to my wife), but still, an accusation that is difficult to bear. I am being reminded at an accelerating rate that I am aging/getting older (Thanks, Jon & Richie) and it's not entirely awesome. My body itself is telling me that I'm no longer 19 1/2 years old. I'm bad out of shape and I'm more...fragile (not the Italian version either). I think I have a broke bone in my foot and can no longer bend my right wrist beyond 30 degrees. I know. Sad. I can't even outrun the fat kids anymore in freeze tag. (little SL Neil reference for yous)

And when I can actually duct tape my body for it to hold together long enough, I find it more difficult to fully enjoy these ventures. Don't get me wrong, I'm forever grateful to have the opportunity to be a part of the stories that God has written and to see my part in them. I wouldn't trade it for the world. The one thing that's different now than 5 years ago is my family. I'm an independent guy. I can hang and chill on my own or with the guys all night long, with a little left in the morning (even if it will take 3 days to get over staying up all night...another sign). However, it's hard to fully unpack when my wife and daughter are two states, counties, or zip codes away. I want them with me, but most youth camps don't exactly cater to 20 month-olds who can't deal with super loud noises and go to bed at 8:00 p.m. after she's had her milk, which needs to be refrigerated...in a non-provided fridge that every youth boarding joint provides. Yeah, difficult. Combined with the awesome single beds everyone sleeps in, which are perfect when said 20 month-old decides she's in a strange environment at 3:46 in the morning and won't stop crying until she's surrounded by something familiar...like the comfort of being in bed with mommy or daddy..a single bed with mommy or daddy. Awesome.

Am I complaining?? No...just pointing out a few details in my life that remind me about summers...and age.

Which brings me to my final point: John Marston. Thanks for the horse rides, the hunting trips, the random strangers you'd meet, and the awesome voice. Even if I speak for myself, you will be missed. May your son carry on your legacy...and somehow learn to talk like a man.

No comments:

Post a Comment