Monday, October 5, 2009

Go, Pack, Go!

So I'm a die hard Green Bay Packers fan...which isn't impressive right now, watching Aaron Rodgers getting sacked 235367634 times while typing this, and hoping that for one play our offensive line is going to block more than one of the defensive players. BUT, a Packers fan nonetheless. Much has been made about Brett Favre's vacating Wisconsin and playing in purple one state over. With people knowing about my love for the Pack (and being a Mississippi guy, like Favre; and a HUGE Southern Miss fan, where Favre graduated (yes, I was a Golden Eagle before people were mispronouncing Favre's name); and sharing the same birthday as Favre...this is really getting sad, isn't it...), I often get asked about who I pull for in the new rivalry. Understandable question, I suppose, but I believe it shows what sports are dealing with in today's sports world moreso than ever. The one thing that stands out in my mind is the lack of loyalty amongst professional sports. I'd love to know (maybe not) how many "Packers" fans bailed on Green Bay and followed Favre to Minneapolis? And how many crazy Cavalier fans were there before LeBron? I'm sure Manny brought more than a few Red Sox fans with him to L.A. (although most of 'em came for Leach). And when Gretzky was traded from...uh...from the...uh...that team in Canada to...um...or what about Shaq fans? They've got a Shaq jersey from almost every team in the NBA!!

So what does this mean?

Nothing. I'm a Packers fan. I loved Favre while he was a Cheesehead. I'll love Favre beyond his retirement. But I cannot cheer for him until he retires a Packer. Why? Because I'm a freakin' Pack-fan until it's over!! 

Speaking of over, we just lost the game. 

GO, PACK, GO!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment